Fruity Nutella Japanese Cotton Cheesecake
Never knew this combination of light, soft and fluffy cotton cheesecake with Nutella and fruits can be so good! This will definitely make your day.
Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake Recipe
Makes 8″ or 9″ round tin | Prep Time: 30 mins | Bake Time: 70 mins
Recipe from: Rasa Malaysia
140g/5 oz. fine granulated sugar
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g/2 oz. unsalted butter
250g/9 oz. cream cheese
100 ml/3 fluid oz. fresh milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
60g/2 oz. cake flour /superfine flour
20g/1 oz. cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, salt, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.
- Make the meringue by whisking egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. You can beat with a stand mixer or handheld mixer. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form. (Click on the link to see image of how the meringue should look.)
- Take 1/3 meringue and fold into the cheese mixture, then fold in another 1/3 of meringue. After incorporated, pour the batter back to the remaining 1/3 meringue and fold. FOLD GENTLY. Pour the mixture into a 8-inch round cake pan (lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with grease-proof baking paper or parchment paper).
- Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F).
- I baked the cake in 9″ round tin, did not line the sides.
- If you use an 8″ pan, it is very important to line the sides of the 8″ pan with parchment paper, make sure the parchment paper extends higher than the cake tin by about 1.5″.
- If springform pan or loose base cake tin is used, wrap the base of your cake tin with 2 layers aluminium foil, to prevent seepage.
- I baked the cake on the lowest shelf in the oven (to prevent cracks on top and over browning).
- The purpose of using double boiler is to melt the cheese, butter, and milk mixture. I heated and simmered the water in the double boiler ON the stove. For the water bath, I used hot water.
- I left the cake to cool down in the oven with the oven door open, about an hour. This is to prevent sudden change of temperature that may cause the cake to shrink drastically. It’s normal that the cake will shrink about ½ inch to 1 inch after cooling. If the cake shrinks a lot, the main reason is the over mixing of the egg white mixture with the cheese mixture. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, FOLD VERY GENTLY, do not stir or blend.
- Refrigerate the cake (with or without the cake tin) for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Decorate as you like! Here’s where Nutella, strawberries and chocolate blueberries come in.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
UP: $15.00 SGD
NOW: $12.00 SGD
Paderno Non-Stick Spring Form Cake Mould
UP: $46.40 SGD
NOW: $37.20 SGD
Thermohauser Melamine Rotating Cake Stand, White
UP: $84.50 SGD
NOW: $67.60 SGD
King Metal Stainless Steel Icing Spatula With Plastic Handle
UP: $23.00 SGD
NOW: $18.40 SGD
Bringing The Professional Kitchen To You
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.